Thursday 15 July 2010

Assignment 2 - One Acre - Pre shoot thoughts.

After the hurry of getting Assignment 1 finished within the confines of "Spring" I have taken the break I spoke about below to think about some of the comments from my Tutor and consider what I am going to do in the One Acre. Generally Assignment 1 was well received with no poor comment, in fact Excellent - Well Done were the final words. There was however one comment relating to some of the images that were patterns within the landscape. "Be careful of making pictures which don't have a fixed relationship to the rectangle they are contained within" is part of the general summary and I am conscious that I will need to avoid anything that strays into this genre in Assignment 2. I am excited by the opportunity to work in a small area and have a number of locations in mind. The course notes end with a sentence in bold. "Remember that the key is variety". I have set aside Friday 16th July to do this and it may well rain. If the light is a bit "Godwin" (mostly flat and boring) I will work with monochrome in mind, use the tripod, maximum DOF and go for textures and minimalist compositions.I want to use my prime glass as the quality of some of these is gorgeous, so the 24mm PCE, 50mm, 85mm and 300mm will all have to be considered plus some tubes to get minimum focus down.

I am also minded not to get too clever. Infra red had come to mind but maybe that will be useful later in the course and if used now will negate it for later. So, keep it simple, shoot slow and try and remember some of the words and images that mean so much when reading at home.

1 comment:

  1. The comment: "Be careful of making pictures which don't have a fixed relationship to the rectangle they are contained within"

    I'm not sure I know what that comment means. I assume it is asking you to always consider the strength of the relationship of the image with it's edge which is an obvious comment but why the word "fixed"?

    The way that photos interact (or ignore) their frame edges is one of the most interesting and underexplored areas of photography.....even some of the most famous photogarphers get it wrong at the edges.

    ReplyDelete