Friday 14 January 2011

Data Storage

Further to the last I need to mention the problems with online storage. Unless you have an amazing upload speed this will not work. I have just over 440GB of image data and uploading it will take 55 days. I have an unlimited use broadband and a business account that is as about as quick as I can buy and it simple is too slow. With the data still in one place I am at risk and need to be careful. A new PC is being constructed with 4 x 1TB drives and that will be used as a store backup while NAS storage is arranged.

4 comments:

  1. Did I mention one of my 1TB hard drives was stored away from the others, just in case I have a fire...

    Computers are great until they start going wrong, and then you just realise how much you depend on them

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit presumptious on my part, but I'm guessing that not all 440gigs are equally valuable - why not use online storage for the 'must keep' stuff only?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nigel, you maybe are right, but to sort it all would take too long. I am archiving at my office/studio and also at home, both have broadband, so hopefully it will all be available wherever I am working.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rob, You use a Mac I believe. Does that offer any advantage over a PC. I never hear the same sort of problems coming from the Mac camp, or is that just because there are fewer Mac users.

    ReplyDelete